Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pwned!

So you know how guys always try to pick up girls by lying and trying to talk about made-up careers and backgrounds and stuff?  (I don’t actually know how much this happens in real life, but it’s practically non-stop in sitcoms.)

I always wish that would happen to me.  But I want the guy to be lying about something I know all about so that I can trip him up and call him out and be all “Aha!”  I think that’d be great.  And I maybe even have a semi-decent chance of it happening (using sitcom stats) because although I live in LA now, I used to live in Kentucky.  And if people lie, they’re probably going to lie about stuff that’s far removed from where they are now so it’s harder to check on.  I feel pretty confident I could catch someone out if they lied about Kentucky (heck, let’s say the South in general), horses, alcohol (I used to work for a distillery) or math.  I’m not saying I know all there is to know about these things by any means, but I think I know more than someone who’s lying about knowing all about them. 

Now that I think about it, this is probably just another form of my pathological competitiveness.  If I can call him out, I win!  I like to win entirely too much.  Unfortunately, this entire scenario is highly unlikely because I’m a fuddy duddy who never goes out and if there’s a strange guy in my apartment I’m not going to be listening to him hit on me, I’m going to be pulling out my baseball bat to encourage him to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment